Search This Blog

Monday, June 28, 2010

Warm Air, Grasshoppers and Kites


Farewell Bend State Park

We began day one packing our car, finishing cleaning up the apartment, and a final storage run. This started around 5ish, following a practice campout in our living room, so by 9:30 we were on our way, a long day of driving ahead. We had planned for this with numerous books, games, and cds. I have to say I think our kids were born travelers. They consistently amaze me when we are going places with such different attitudes. Loving to be out and about, seeing new places and having new experiences I am glad they have accepted my non-homebound way of life. Very rarely do I enjoy sitting at home all day whiling away the hours with housework, or caring for the kids. We’ve always lived in rather small homes, that along with the fact that we rent leaves us with little capability to really create a home that has the space I need to enjoy creating the projects and art that would otherwise keep me at home. Space is an amazing thing. As humans we crave it, but we also long for the closeness of neighbors and friends. We live in a paradox of defending our personal space while tiptoeing around that of others. As we left the crowded, by man and trees, space of Seattle and drove toward the wide open spaces of the West I felt all the tense muscles in my body relax. I had not even realized how tense I had become. Shoved into a car with the kids and the husband pushed that space boundary and as the sky opened up to sunshine we entered Big Sky country where even the crowding of the car didn’t bother me. Living most of the year surrounded by gray clouds, I forget how much blue sky this world has and what it feels like to see to the end of the horizon, to where the world drops off to the unknown. And I love it. I am a big sky girl, I need these wide open spaces.

So we stepped out of the car and found ourselves wrapped in a blanket of air warmed by the sun. We found summer. For those of you missing summer, where summer has not yet arrived (you know who you are) I am sorry to say that it is phenomenal. And I hope it comes to you soon. Content to sit in a small grass patch by the gas station just to soak in the warmth, my bones got warm, my blood is a couple degrees warmer, and my skin soaked in the heat. It’s like a free sauna at a spa, only filled with bright light. We stopped often for the kids and for ourselves to enjoy the day. Yes, we had a couple 4 year old meltdowns. Leaving house and home, he was disappointed to realize that it would in fact take us 7 days to get to the grandmas and grandpas. So after 8 ½ hours of the road, we were ready to arrive at our campground. We had chosen a campground about 1 ½ hours west of Boise. Farewell Bend State Park looked good on the map and even better in person. Situated on a reservoir surrounded by dry rolling hills we found an open site overlooking the water. We set up camp, got some food in our road weary bodies and reveled in the beauty surrounding us. Nate got out the kite and we spent the rest of the night flying the kite over the hill. It was almost to good to be true, except that it was true. Our souls rested, revived and listened to the slow melody played out in the sunset and moon rising before us. I dare say, this was a shalom moment when time stood still stars peeked out and all else faded away. Sometimes I fall into thinking I can find these moments in things or in feeling good about my home or financially secure, but I was just proven wrong. Again. It may take a lifetime to learn that lesson, but along the way I will take any such moment with pure gratefulness. This moment faded all to quickly as we attempted to put two exhausted children to bed in a one room tent. Then the real work began. With the crickets singing us to sleep we had many opportunities to listen to their song throughout the night. We’ll just say the coffee pot was the first thing out of the food bin this morning. But we’re hoping that they will soon adjust and we’ll all get some sleep.

Following another kite flying session and breakfast we packed up the car again and are headed to Boise. Our 4 year old is currently testing how long he can yell our names before we respond. We’ve chosen to not respond until the yelling stops and so we’re all still learning and exploring how to live in the paradox of space with the confines of a small SUV.

Did I mention that we chased and caught grasshoppers? It’s amazing to watch the little guy run with few boundaries and explore nature with some freedom. There isn’t much of that for kids in the city, so I am looking forward to lengthening the proverbial leash. It took me back to my childhood, to days spent in the grass looking at bugs, and evenings running around catching fireflies. Maybe he’ll turn out to be a wide open space kind of person too, maybe we deep down we all have that spot in our heart for endless space to run and nothing blocking our view of what lies ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment