Search This Blog

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Craters of the Moon, ID -- Monday




Today we made the long drive from Boise to the Tetons. We chose to take a slower route so we could go through a place called Craters of the Moon. As you can see in the photo, it’s a lava field in the middle of Idaho. Comprised of caves, and walking paths, we could have stayed a whole day exploring, but driven on by the goal of a day out of the car we took a short walk and stared in amazement at the dichotomy between the lush green hills and the valley of dark lava rock. I’m finding the natural world full of these paradoxes, they seem to keep jumping up at me, hard to ignore, and always telling me stories, speaking into my own life of paradoxes lived out, the day to day tension we find ourselves being pulled between. I can find within my own heart both a volcano wanting to erupt and spill lava rock to harden over everything or lush green hills of quiet and sustenance taking over, filling my life and family with peace. Sometimes I choose which way to turn and sometimes I just have to live holding onto both knowing they both exist within me.

No comments:

Post a Comment