Search This Blog

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Mosquitos

I think I could live a very nice life without these pesky little critters. I’ve waged war on them all summer and only have bug bites to show for it. As do both my children. We tried natural bug spray, we reluctantly tried deet bug spray and to no avail, we still get bitten. And then there’s the itching. I can hold back, the baby doesn’t seem to want to itch, but our little man itches until he bleeds. So we began another round of trials, Caladryl, white vinegar, a Benadryl stick, and some Dermacort, all this just because of a tiny little flying insect. They have kept us indoors on days they swarm so thick the minute you step out you feel like a landing strip at a busy airport.

It makes me feel guilty to be sitting indoors on a sunny day afraid of a tiny little bug. I find myself hollering at my son to either be in the lake or in the house, but not running around on the grass in case he gets another bug bite to add to his collection! So mosquitos, look out, we’re coming to Iowa and if you are near me, you can be sure your life will be short.

If anyone has any tips, we'd love to hear them!

4 comments:

  1. Garlic! I don't know if just eating it helps but I have heard that rubbing it on your skin will keep all the bugs away - not to mentions the vampires:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually wondered about that in my head, I'll have to give that one a try. Thanks for the tidbit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vitamin B. I ingest it a week before a hike and it works well. Though must say, not foolproof . Hey Emily, we miss u guys. Trudy says hi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, John! I might try that myself. We miss you guys too, and we have a lot to share with you guys.

    ReplyDelete