Search This Blog

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Wisowa - Sunday to Tuesday (last week)


A combination of two places into one family, Wisowa was born of a marriage between a Wisconsinite and an Iowan. No, it’s not referring to my husband and I, rather the grandparents of my mother-in-law’s husband. A wonderful grouping of cabins, playhouses, and even a schoolhouse it’s set up for family fun and relaxation. Unfortunately for us, it rained the whole time we were there. When it wasn’t raining, just wanting to rain, we set out on the paddle boat, caught frogs, and swam at the beach. It’s always amazing to me, when given the right imagination and funds what a person can create. It’s got me thinking about what I would create in a place like that, what buildings, spaces, and potential would be possible. We’ve been having fun dreaming about the future, no real answers yet, but dreaming is sometimes the best part of the process.

One of the most enjoyable times for me was the sauna. We tried it only one afternoon, it was raining out and my mother-in-law offered to watch both kids while we sat in the sauna. So we went in with her husband to rejuvenate. I had experienced a sauna prior to this, but not a sauna followed by a dip in a lake. The lake is tinted brown from the color of the trees surrounding it, and after 15 minutes in a 150 degree sauna we ran out in the rain to dip ourselves in what seemed to me like maple syrup. Then we ran back to the sauna to do the cycle over again. Rejuvenated we returned to find the kids content. Baby girl asleep on grandma’s lap, a rare sight as she is showing quite a bit of separation anxiety lately.

We passed the rest of the days running to and fro in the rain, trying to stay dry and still have fun without feeling too cooped up. Rain in the Midwest summer is different than that in the Northwest. It’s a warm rain, one you can play in without shivering. It falls hard and fast, but not torrentially. When my husband and I were dating we would run out and play in rains like this, a time to flirt a little, laugh, and be silly together. The rain we’ve been in reminds me of this past of ours, a past of much laughter. So I wasn’t surprised to find him one day pushing our son on the tree swing, both of them in swimsuits making the best of a rainy day. That’s one small thing I am inspired in by him, he is outside in the rain, outside with the mosquitos, outside just to be outside whenever he can be despite what nature throws at him. He’s a resilient man and is teaching that to our children. And I love that.

Well, Wisowa, we thank you for your hospitality! We hope we get to see you on a sunnier note someday and we look forward to the next time we will see Grandma and Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment