Search This Blog

Friday, August 6, 2010

Boulder, CO


Two days later we arrived in Boulder, CO. Road weary and tired of the car we found a little park where we once again got rained on. As the evening cleared we headed to a lookout park and spent the evening watching the light bounce off the mountains. If Boise didn’t woo, and Wyoming did, Boulder swept me off my feet. A mix of all that I like about Seattle in a smaller package with the mountains closer and the sunshine shining it’s no wonder this is one of the most popular cities to live in. There was gluten-free food everywhere. We stopped at a pizza joint for supper called BJs where they made my little guy a delicious GF/DF pizza. It was the first time in his little life that we have been able to get him a pizza in a restraunt. Where our mantra is typically, ‘sorry honey’, it was a joy to be able to say ‘Yes!’ when he asked if he could have some pizza. The little things in life sometimes catch me and remind me of what he often misses out on because of his diet and how reasonable he is about accepting that fact of life. He doesn’t throw a fit if he can’t have a certain food, though he has started expressing disappointment, who wouldn’t, yet to go to a coffee shop and be able to get a treat or a something like pizza lights up his little face and my heart. Our psyches are so intertwined with food, it can make us feel accepted or dejected, it can give us energy and health or make us sick, it can bring comfort and enjoyment in life. All that from a bean or a grain or a form of milk, it makes me want to fill my life and home with foods that bring good things to my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment